KABOOM! You blow up the thirtieth virus, and a third black rectangle appears on the screen of the Proteus, along with the words VIRUS DESTROYED.
“Did we do it?” Melvin asks.
The Doctor’s voice crackles over the radio. “You did it,” he
says excitedly, at least as excitedly as the reformed Dr. Jekyll gets. “You
saved my life, and now you’ve saved the world. You two really are heroes.”
You and Melvin exchange a high five (somehow), and you call
into the microphone, “so, Doc, can you turn me back to normal now? Being the
world’s tiniest lizard has been fun, sort of, but I’m really ready to be human
again.” You look at your skin, and it continues to glow green, probably on
account of all the radiation you’ve absorbed during this weird adventure.
“Yes,” says the Doctor. “I’m ready to return both you and
the Proteus to normal size.” You feel
swirling as the syringe sucks you up from the virus replicator, and things go
from dark to light. “Get ready,” he says. “Here comes the enlarging ray.”
Pulsing purple light surrounds you, and you see things
moving and changing outside your ship. Eventually, you see the doctor’s giant
face looking down at your tiny ship, but he is shrinking and backing away – at
least, it looks like that, because you and your ship are returning to normal
size. Finally, the purple light stops, and the Proteus is sitting on the street next to one of the skyscrapers,
and there is the Doctor, waving to you. At least, you assume it is him. He
looks so different than he did before! He still wears a lab coat, but his huge
red face is no more, replaced with a timid, narrow, pale face that is tinged
slightly blue. And weirdly, he’s still shrinking. And… so is the Proteus?
“Player, what’s happening to you?” says Melvin, in alarm. To
your amazement, you realize that you haven’t turned back into a normal human,
but are now a human sized lizard… or, you were… somehow, you are still growing!
You hit your head on the ceiling of the Proteus,
and realize that you are getting bigger and bigger!
“Doc, turn off your ray!” shouts Melvin.
“It is off!” cries the Doctor in alarm.
“Then what’s happening?” shouts Melvin.
“I don’t know,” says the Doctor, through the radio, “but you
better get out of there, before you tear the ship to pieces!”
But it’s too late! You are already too big for the hatch,
and the walls of the ship press in on you, tighter and tighter, until suddenly
the whole ship bursts open under the pressure from your growth! You stand amid
the fragments of the Proteus and
watch in astonishment as everything around you shrinks, and you grow taller and
taller! Soon, you are nearly forty feet tall! You try to speak, but only
Godzilla sounds come out.
“Doc, what happened?” says Melvin.
“I… don’t know,” says the Doctor, looking on incredulously.
“I… think maybe it was because of all the radiation the Player absorbed… maybe
mixing with the toxins? In any case, the growth was definitely accelerated.”
“Yeah, and they got real big!” adds Melvin.
You still aren’t back to normal, you realize, and at this
rate, you never will be. You get so frustrated, you punch a building, and parts
of it rain down on Melvin and the Doctor.
“Easy there!” calls Melvin. “We’ll… find some way to get you
human again!” He turns to the Doctor. “We will, won’t we? Doc! Put down that
newspaper!”
But the Doctor is paralyzed, staring at what he reads. “Oh
no… Oh no!” he cries.
“What is it?” asks Melvin.
“I… wasn’t the only one!” he says, somehow turning paler
than he already was.
“The only what?” asks Melvin.
“I wasn’t the only dentist to be infected! It says here that
dentists all across North America have created virus factories, just like I
did!”
“WHAT?” shouts Melvin. “How did that happen?”
“Every dentist at that conference must have caught the same
virus!”
“So what do we do?”
“I don’t know!” the Doctor says in alarm. “There’s no time!
And I can’t shrink you again! If only we could… blow them up, somehow!”
“How are we gonna do that?” yells Melvin. “We’ve got no
ship! The Proteus is destroyed, and
the Player has turned into, I don’t know, some kind of weird monster!”
After all this, the world is still going to be destroyed by
viruses? You become so furious you start pounding the building next to you, and
it begins to collapse. You look down at the Doctor and Melvin, and realize they
are about to be crushed! Quickly, you scoop them up in your giant lizard hand,
just before a thousand tons of masonry squashes them both flat.
“Of course!” says the Doctor, looking up at you. “Lizzie,
you’re a genius!”
You still don’t like being called Lizzie, but you wonder
what he’s talking about.
“I’ve got a list here of all the cities with virus
factories. I can fly you there with my mega-blimp, and you can smash them to
bits! The blimp is fast – this could work! Lizzie! Can you take me to the top
of skyscraper 4?”
It’s a tall building, but climbing it is much easier this
time now that you are a giant monster. Careful not to crush the Doc or Melvin
in your hand, you climb quickly up the side of it, place them on the roof,
where a large white blimp is waiting.
“Perfect!” says the Doctor. He runs to the blimp, and has it
airborne in seconds. As it rises, you hear the Doctor over the blimp’s
amplification system. “Melvin, get in the blimp with me. Lizzie, grab hold of
the blimp.” You reach up and grab two railings that serve as convenient
handles. The blimp lifts up, and starts flying out of the city. It’s almost
relaxing to be flying so high above the city. You hear Melvin ask, “Doc, where
are we going?”
“Peoria!” he says excitedly. “At least… for starters!
Lizzie, I hope you like smashing buildings, because we’ve got our work cut out
for us!”
Place the Rampage
cartridge into your Atari 2600. Play as “Lizzie” until you have destroyed every
building from Peoria to Plano. Post a link to a video in the comments section
of yourself completing the challenge.
Made it from Peoria to St. Louis, 1 hour 37 minutes and 64 screens. Got the gameplay figured out pretty good by the hour mark but little things here and there wittled down poor Lizzies health bar. It was fun to break 100k and earn an extra life though! My math says that it will take me a little bit over 2 hours of gamplay to get to Plano on screen 85 per the manual. It would be a haul and I already stayed up way past my bedtime for this run :D but your call to keep the challenge at this or not!
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/QZMqawMR2Uk
How encouraging! I was worried that getting that far would be straight up impossible, or that it might take ten hours or something. If you are up for trying for Plano, I'd love that -- I think you would be the first to post a video of such a feat, because I've seen SO many message boards with confusing stories about exactly how many levels there are -- I think it is confusing because the arcade list is different than the 2600 list, and other home versions also have different lists -- if you can get from Peoria to Plano, I think you would be the first with definitive proof of the actual Atari 2600 list of cities. So, I hope you can do it!
DeleteOur work was cut out for us indeed, 2 hours of gampeplay and 85 cities later we have destroyed all the virus factories!!! Due to the time it took I would say this challenge was the hardest challenge in terms of mental fortitude while playing, no other game took this long in the play session to complete! I certainly felt my focus drifitng and my reflexes waning after a bit.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYtstPtE2ls
INCREDIBLE! I worried for YEARS about this chapter -- that it might take ten hours, or that the rumors about being able to go all the way from Peoria to Plano were just rumors -- but you showed that it is possible -- and I think you are the first one to do it! I'm so glad it was an achievable challenge! I will try trumpeting about this on some message boards, and see if it can garner more AtariQuest interest. Congrats, and thanks for seeing this through! That's another treasure recovered... five so far, 21 to go!
Delete