The pinball game is intense, and not just because the flipper buttons keep shocking your fingers! You realize that you are racing against time, because if Doctor Frankenstein catches you in here, who knows what he and his monster will do to you. At 10,000 points and 20,000 points, silver crosses popped out of the machine. You get nervous, though, because as your score gets higher, more and more blue sparks come out of the power cable, not to mention the flipper buttons! Just as you manage 30,000 points and a third cross pops out, a massive lightning bolt shoots from the backglass, and sends you hurtling across the room, crashing into a pile of pots, pans, and old electrodes. The room is black now, except of the glow of Melvin, and a flashing “TILT – TILT – TILT” on the machine, which gradually fades to black.
Melvin flies over, concerned. “Are you okay?”
You pull a pot off your head, and shake off some other lab
paraphernalia with a lot of noisy clanging. “Yes… I think so.” You reach into
your pocket. “But we’ve only got three of the five crosses! Will that be enough
to defeat Dracula?” In the distance, you hear screams, groans, and… a smashing
noise.
Suddenly the door flies open – it’s Igor. “You’ve got to get
out of here! You shorted out the whole castle! The master is furious, and the
monster has escaped!”
You and Melvin zip out the door, only to see the Monster
smashing his way down the corridor toward you. The fury in his eyes is
terrifying. Seeing no alternative, you run back into the room, and slam the
door, trying to pile up the pots, pans, and other lab equipment in front of it.
“Igor, what do we do?” you shout.
“Well,” says Igor, “I don’t see any other alternative.” He
pulls out his flute, and puts it to his lips.
“NOW he’s going to play music?” says Melvin, incredulous.
“Of course!” you say. “That will calm the monster, right?”
Igor pauses. “Oh no. In fact, it makes him quite furious.”
He starts to play. Immediately, you hear the monster scream in anger and the
door and wall smash in. But, just as Igor plays his final note, a trap door in
the floor clicks open under the pinball machine. Igor jumps in, and you and
Melvin follow. You land on the floor below in a familiar hallway, and Igor
plays the same song backwards, and you see the trap door click shut and
disappear. You can hear the monster stomping around a floor above you, sounding
frustrated, and then you hear what sounds like a pinball machine being smashed
to bits. Fortunately, the floors of the castle are very thick, and it sounds
like it is quite far away.
“I knew these musical locks would come in handy,” says Igor,
tucking his flute back into his robe. “How many crosses did you get?”
“Just three – do you think that’s enough?”
Igor makes a circle in the dust on the floor with his foot.
“Well… maybe… assuming you can trap Dracula in less than twelve seconds. But we
have to get you out of here. The monster has seen you, and once he gets mad at
someone, he’s relentless.”
“Is Dracula’s castle near here?” you ask.
Igor laughs. “Oh, no. It’s… very far away. Far, far off in
the mountains. On foot it will take you months to get there.”
“Well, how will we get there, then?”
Just then, Melvin happens to look behind you, and shouts,
“Look out!” You turn just in time to see that weird hallway ghost charge at
you. You dive out of the way, and lose your white cap in the process. The ghost
starts to come at you again, but then pauses, and says, “Hey Igor, who are
these two?”
Igor cocks his head. “I’m not really sure. But they helped
me build a wall to contain the monster. They need crosses because they want to
defeat Dracula.”
The ghost looks at you with its hollow eyes. “Is THAT what
you were doing? With that white hat, I thought you were the painter. Sorry I
bit you so many times.”
“Yeah,” says Melvin. “What was up with all that biting?”
“Sorry,” says the ghost, shrugging. “I just… like the walls
the way they are. Ever since Doc Frankenstein moved in, he won’t stop
redecorating. He won’t even leave the acid pool alone. And I can’t even find
the spiders half the time.”
You look over the spider bites all over your arms and legs.
“I haven’t had that problem.” You hear more roaring and stomping upstairs, and
dust and pebbles start falling from the ceiling.
Igor looks up at it. “I think he might actually break
through.”
The ghost looks over your bites sympathetically. “Wow, we
really did you up a treat. I wish there was some way I could make it up to
you.”
Igor says, “Maybe you can. They want to go to Dracula’s
castle.”
“Why do you want to do that?” says the ghost. “Dracula will kill you. He kills everybody. He killed me.”
“We have to help a friend of ours named Peek.”
The ghost’s weird eyeholes get real big. “PEEK? Oh, now I
have to help you. His friend Sneak tried to kill Dracula once, and I think got
trapped in there. Do you have any crosses?”
“Yeah, three.”
“Hmm…” says the ghost. “That might be enough… if you’re
fast.”
The pounding upstairs is getting louder, and the ceiling is
definitely starting to crack. You get the feeling that the monster is jumping
up and down on the trap door. Melvin shouts, “Igor, this whole place is going
to collapse!”
Igor looks up, then looks down, then looks up again. As
rubble rains down from the ceiling with each pounding jump from the monster,
Igor pulls out his flute and plays. The ceiling trap door opens, and so does
the one in the floor. You see the monster, in his furious green glory, plummet
past you into the now open trap door in the floor, and you hear a loud thud
below. You, Melvin, Igor, and the ghost all gather around the trap door in the
floor to peer down into the hole. You see the monster lying unconscious on the
little island in the basement acid pool. As you watch, the island glides off
into the darkness.
“He’s lucky he didn’t land in the acid,” says Melvin.
“Yeah, but he’s going to get a lot of spider bites,” says
the ghost.
From above, the angry face of Doctor Frankenstein glares
down. “Igor! Where is my monster!”
“He’s in the basement, master. I think he’s… resting.”
“Well, stop jibber jabbering with that painter, and help me
get the electricity back on.”
“Duty calls,” says Igor. “Ghost, can you take them to
Dracula’s castle?”
“It will be my pleasure! They probably won’t survive… but…
imagine if they do!”
“Igor,” asks Melvin, “will you be okay, with the monster,
and the doctor, and everything?”
“Oh sure,” says Igor. “Just an ordinary evening around
here.” He surveys all the cracks in the walls and ceiling. “You can see why we
redecorate so often.” He peers out the window. “If you are going to defeat
Dracula, you better get going. It’s well after midnight.”
“Yes,” says the ghost, “we had better go.” It seizes you
around the waist, and to your horror, leaps out the window. You are quite high
up, and find yourself hurtling towards the sharp rocks on the mountainside
below, and you scream. At the last possible second, the ghost pulls up, and you
narrowly avoid certain death, suddenly sailing up into the sky. As you look
back at the castle, you see Igor in the window, waving goodbye, and Melvin
darting out after you, trying to catch up.
When you catch your breath, you gasp, “Did you have to scare
me like that?”
“Sorry,” says the ghost. “You’re heavier than you look.”
Melvin catches up. “Nice night for flying!”
“Yes,” says the ghost, looking up at the flashing gray
clouds in the night sky. “Unless we get hit by lightning. But at least the rain
has stopped.”
As you sail over the mountain forest below, you try to
decide whether what is colder: The high altitude mountain air, or the chilling
arms of a ghost around you. You’d rather not think about any of it, so you
change the subject. “So… how do you know Peek?”
“Yeah,” says Melvin. “And how do you know so much about
Dracula’s Castle?”
The ghost sighs, his cold breath literally sending chills
down your spine. “It wasn’t always his castle. It used to be my home.”
“When was that?” asks Melvin. The moon breaks out from
behind a cloud, and you see it reflect off of a mountain lake below. In the
distance, a wolf howls.
The ghost sighs again. “I… I don’t remember, exactly. Being
a ghost does things to your memory, I think. It could have been a thousand
years ago, I’m not sure. I was once alive, I know, living a happy life. Then Dracula
appeared in my bedroom one night and the next morning I was dead and my castle
was his. I became a ghost, haunting my own home, swearing revenge on Dracula.
For centuries, I plagued him, causing him all manner of difficulties, and no
matter what he tried, he could not get rid of me.” The ghost pauses, to fly up
and over some clouds. “And so it went, for centuries. Until the dark day he met
Doctor Frankenstein.”
“Why would Doctor Frankenstein visit Dracula?” asks Melvin.
“Dracula heard about the famous scientist, and invited him
to Ghost Manor.”
“Ghost Manor?” you ask.
“Yes,” the ghost says quietly. “It’s what I call my home. I…
can’t remember my living name, and I’ve been a ghost so much longer than I was
alive.” He continues. “He explained to Doctor Frankenstein that his house was
haunted, and that he desired to make it ghostproof. The doctor believed that by
running electricity through metal walls, he could repel ghosts, even trap
ghosts.”
“Did that work?” you ask.
The ghost inhales and sighs its deepest sigh yet, and you
feel ice crystals forming on the back of your neck. “Yes, it worked. I was
furious. My life was taken from me, and then my own home. Not only could I not
live there, but Frankenstein built special ghost trap rooms to try to imprison
me. But I was too clever for that, and so I followed Doctor Frankenstein home,
to haunt him instead. If I couldn’t haunt the fiend who stole my home, I would
haunt the one who cast me out from it.” He looks down. “Ah, here we are.
There’s Ghost Manor, just ahead.”
You see a large castle made of reddish brown stone,
surrounded by a great cemetery. The ghost flies down, and lands among the
tombstones near the castle, but not too near. You are very glad to have your
feet on the ground again, and hug yourself, and rub your arms, trying to warm
up from the bone-chilling flight, but in a chilly cemetery in the mountains,
after midnight, you aren’t having much luck.
“Do you still have the crosses?” asks the ghost.
You reach into your pocket. “Yes… I…” oh no! You feel around
in all your pockets. “I only have one!”
The rainbow ghost frowns. “I was afraid of that. The crosses
are enchanted. They have returned to the coffins they were taken from. You see,
after Frankenstein built all his electric walls, Dracula refused to pay him,
and so Doctor Frankenstein pried the silver crosses from the coffins as
payment. But some of them were enchanted, and now that they are near the
castle, they have returned to the coffins.”
“Well, how can we defeat Dracula with just one cross?” you
ask, your voice in a rising panic.
“You probably can’t. You’ll need to find the other two
crosses when you get inside. Remember, you can’t kill Dracula, you just need
the crosses to keep him from killing you before you steal his key.”
“Oh right,” you say, rubbing your forehead. “We’re here to
get the key so we can free Peek’s friends from the bad man’s house… the Graves
Mansion. I almost forgot!”
You look at the castle, and feel overwhelmed by a sense of
pure evil emanating from within.
“So… we just… walk in there?” asks Melvin, nervously.
The ghost laughs. “Oh, no. Dracula has all kinds of
guardians. Bats, scorpions, flying skulls, an evil knight (boy, is that a long
story), and a giant mummy with an axe. You’ll have to defeat them all to get
in.”
You and Melvin look at each other. “How are we supposed to
do that?” you both exclaim simultaneously.
The ghost laughs. “Ha, yeah, I know. That’s part of why no
one can defeat Dracula.” He looks around. “I know a way to do it, though. Those
enchanted creatures can all be defeated by ectoplasmic spears.”
“Ecto-what?” asks Melvin.
“It’s a ghost thing,” says the ghost. “See, when a ghost
floats over a grave, for a brief moment, an ectoplasmic spear materializes from
the ether. Watch.” He floats in front of one of the gravestones, and indeed,
for a brief moment, you see what looks like a delicate crystal rod appear over
the grave, and just as quickly, it seems to evaporate. “If you’re quick, you
can grab it. Get ready.” He floats over another grave, and again a crystal rod
appears. Quick as you can, you snatch it out of the air, and the ghost is
right! In the moonlight, you see every color of the rainbow dancing inside the
spear, no thicker than a twig, but about two feet long, and tapered to an
incredibly sharp point.
“Wow!” says Melvin. “Ghost weapons from beyond the grave!
This is pretty cool!”
You look at the castle again. “Ghost, will you come with
us?”
He shakes his ghostly head. “No way. Dracula is waiting for
me, there’s nothing he would love more than trapping me. I’ve heard he might
have other ghosts trapped in there, all because he’s trying to catch me.”
“Hmm,” you say. “Anything else we should know?”
“I think that’s most of it,” says the ghost. “There should
be lamps in the front entryway. If you make it past the mummy, grab one, it’ll
be dark inside. Oh! And don’t be tempted by the golden walls.”
“Golden walls?” asks Melvin, confused.
“Yes. Gold is the best conductor of electricity, so Doctor
Frankenstein melted down the gold from my vaults to build the electric walls
that keep me out. One side of the walls is deadly, by the other side is safe.
I’ve heard that several foolish burglars have tried to steal the gold from his
walls, only to end up ghosts themselves when the power reverses.”
“Got it,” you say. “Spear the creatures, get the lamp, find
the crosses, repel Dracula, find the key, and get out.”
“That’s pretty much it,” says the ghost, looking with
concern at the setting moon. “You better get in there, though. The sun will be
up soon.”
“Wouldn’t it be safer to do this in the daytime?” asks Melvin.
“It’s quite impossible,” says the ghost. “Ghost Manor only
appears after midnight when the moon is full. The actual castle was destroyed
long ago. Make sure to get out again before the sun comes up, or you may never
be able to leave.”
“Oh, come on!” says Melvin, clearly at the end of his rope.
“Ghosts, disappearing castles, Dracula, Igor, Frankenstein, and the Mummy.
Where is the Wolfman, I ask you? WHERE IS THE WOLFMAN?”
“Are you done?” asks the ghost.
“Yeah,” says Melvin sheepishly, “I’m done.”
“Then follow me. You’re going to need a
lot of spears to get into Ghost Manor!” and he darts off across the cemetery, a
row of crystal spears popping up in his wake.
Put the Ghost Manor
cartridge into your Atari 2600. Set both difficulty switches to b. Set the
Color/BW switch to “Color” to play as a girl, and “BW” to play as a boy. Play
until Dracula is captured, and you rescue the friend from the castle. Post a
link to a video in the comments section of yourself completing the challenge.
Similar feel and look to Spike's Peak, not surprised they were put together on a double ender. I always love a title with an ending, plus the rainbow ghost sprite is fantastic!
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/Seue42RiWoQ
Whoa! You beat it so quickly! That sure showed old Dracula! I grew up knowing this cartridge as a double-ender with Spike's Peak -- you're right, you can really see the connection between the two games. Great job! And speaking of peaks, I think Peek is waiting for you!
Delete